Wednesday 5 May 2010

Poster Brief

I've decided that it would be such a shame to waste the Black Dogs 'how to' card brief. So even though it won't be a live project I'm going to take it on anyway - simply as portfolio work. Obviously the context of the brief has changed; since I no longer have to consider the Tate as a platform I can apply a more personal approach. I do not need to adhere to the limitations of A4 dimensions anymore if I don't want to, and I can choose to produce it in any medium I wish. I'm still not completely certain of the content yet but I want to do some more screen printing, perhaps a more complex colour separation to demonstrate some skill.

I need to come up with a concept that I want to address. At the minute I'm toying with the idea of raising the question 'what exactly is art?' by producing a 'how to be an art connoisseur' poster depicting a guy pondering appreciatively over something trivial and mundane like a fire exit sign or a telephone box. But I can't quite pin down the message that I'm trying to get across and I've hit a massive wall.

I haven't done anything along these lines in so long and I think the main problem I'm having is a complete lack of self-confidence. I'm not an illustrator so I don't know where to begin illustrating it. I'm not a graphic designer so the typography will inevitably pose an issue. And who am I to say what art is anyway? However I know that voicing these concerns will simply be met with a 'get over yourself and fucking do it' type response from the tutors so I thought I'd skip the middleman and self-diagnose my confidence issues.

Probs gunna brain storm some shit or summit...

No comments: