Tuesday 24 November 2009

Artists Book Intorduction

A few photos from the artist book collection at Vernon St library. Some really interesting stuff but I didn't see the appeal of a lot of it, and the collection catalogue was incredibly out of date so I couldn't find any information on the ones I did enjoy. It's useful to know it's there though, and nice to see some student work in there!



This is one of my favorite books. It's a foreign novel, completely annotated, photocopied and rebound. It's not so much about the design elements, more the thought process. The fact that it's in another language renders the extra annotation and explanations fairly irrelevant to all but a minority who speak whichever undefined language it is.







The book below was the most visually appealing to me, it was an extremely simple idea, no permanent binding involved - just a large pin loosely securing the folded leaves of paper placed in the centre page. I didn't actually register the title of the book, or its purpose, but the photography was so incredibly captivating! No complex layouts; full bleed images on high gloss paper meant the images were left to stand their own ground and I couldn't take my eyes off them.




No comments: