Tuesday 10 November 2009

Tutorial - Last Week

I've been at home all weekend so I haven't had a chance to update my blog much. But I think it's worth giving the group tutorial last week a mention.

To say I was frustrated would be an ultimate understatement. I completely drew a blank. Hit a wall. Didn't know where I was or what was going on.

I just feel like I've been working and working but getting nowhere. Which I know isn't true but I'm driving myself into a rut with this project. Like I said in a previous post I needed reading week to remove myself from my work and look at it from a fresh perspective. Did that work? Hmm not really. Well. Kind of.

I don't want to rush myself by saying that I'll definitely have started attacking some competition briefs by the time deadline comes around, because I'll probably just crumble under that workload. I'll aim for having picked out one or two that I feel comfortable with - I think that's realistic.
As discussed in the tutorial:
  • I know that the work I've produced has provided me with fundamental skills that I can undoubtedly apply to the rest of my design career.
  • I'm feeling incredibly disconnected from this brief as I intended it to be simply for experimentation and, other than future reference, I'm not working towards anything.
  • I'm ready to start applying my skills to live briefs to build a portfolio of MY work.
  • BUT at the same time I want to see through my initial idea of compiling a resource book from my experimentation.
Plan of attack?

Tie up the loose ends of my print work and bind my samples in a book.

Scan the pages (back and front), and arrange them on Quark - print out rough version? Just to refresh skills and make a loose comparison.

Evaluate the place that print has in the future of design, and more importantly, my career.

In my research steer away from print practices and more towards how I can apply it - e.g. live briefs, self initiated briefs etc.

No comments: