Tuesday 26 January 2010

Thomas Chippendale


Since I've spent a lot of time in the 3D workshop recently, I've been talking to the technicians quite a bit. One of them took a look at my work and suggested I look at Thomas Chippendale, an 18th Century cabinet-maker who was commissioned to produce pieces for most of the aristocratic houses of the time. Above is an example of his work in the form of a four poster bed designed for King George III - although it is not a frame, you can definitely see how the intricate detail would be something that could easily influence my work. As my wall piece is focused on really ornate frames it is quite fitting to look at Chippendale's furniture as he was one of the most sought after British designers in an era that thrived on elaborate decoration. Had I known about him before I started drawing out the frames then I suspect my piece would have looked a lot different. I hate how many times this brief insists on kicking me when I'm down.

No comments: